One of my favorite states to road trip to is West Virginia. It’s an easy drive from Ohio and offers a lot of different experiences in terms of things to do and the landscape. I’ve previously posted about how to spend a weekend in the Dolly Sods area, and now after two trips to this area I can confidently say everyone needs to add Oglebay Resort and the Mountain State to their bucket list.
Oglebay Resort is located in Wheeling, WV, just over the border of Ohio. The drive from Cleveland was under three hours. We actually spent time here last summer enjoying their outdoor pool which has a huge splash pad, rock walls and giant inflatable slides. This is a wonderful family-friendly destination as there’s so much to do and see without having to leave the property.
On this second visit, we came back at the end of September and enjoyed more of the other activities the resort has to offer. I’m going to share everything we did and how you can enjoy some time at this wonderful family-friendly resort in West Virginia!
A few things to know before planning your trip:
- There are several lodging options here. You can either stay at the Wilson Lodge (which we’ve done both times) or the cottages, which can sleep anywhere from 8-30 people.
- From Memorial Day through Labor Day, there is a trolley shuttle that runs and can transport you to anywhere within the resort. In the off-season you can either use the walking trails or drive. It is pretty hilly, so be mindful of that before heading out to a destination!
- I’m talking family-friendly activities, but Oglebay Resort also has the West Spa and several golf courses.
- There are seven restaurants on property (including the breakfast buffet included in your stay), so you truly don’t have to leave the property during your stay if you don’t want to!
- Plan your trip in advance, as this is a popular wedding destination, so rooms may book up quick!
- Always check for seasonal activities going on, even in the off-season. They always have fun events going on!
I’m going to run through the list of everything we did during our stay. I think this resort is great because we’ve come twice, and had two very different experiences based on the time of year we came!
The Good Zoo
This zoo is perfect for the littles in your life! There are over 60 species of animals here to see and experience. The zoo itself is very walkable. It includes two playgrounds, a ropes course and a train! You can walk around the zoo on your own, or set up an animal encounter where you can get up close and person with some creatures. During the month of October you can also experience the Boo at the Zoo event!
We spent a lot of time in this area during our most recent stay. We enjoyed a pedal boat ride on the lake, a game of miniature golf and spent plenty of time at the large playground. There is also the opportunity to go fishing at the lake if you have older kids who are interested in that!
Walking & Hiking Trails
We went on several walks during our stay. The walking trails here are beautiful and well maintained, which was nice since we had our stroller for our two-year old. The resort has done such a great job of landscaping the entire property, so there is plenty to look at while you walk. There are also unpaved hiking trails that will take you through Oglebay’s landscape.
If you want to get off the property for a bit but stay within the resort limits, head to Wheeling Park! This park includes a café, an Olympic size pool, multiple playgrounds, tennis courts, pedal boats, mini golf, ice skating, roller skating and pickleball.
After grabbing some ice cream from their sweet treats shop, we walked around this stunning gardens. The public garden includes more than 30 flower beds, with a fountain and an abundance of colorful hanging baskets all round.
Indoor Pool & Game Room
Since the outdoor pool was closed during this visit, we checked out the indoor pool which was equally as fun! I loved that they have a 1 ft. section so my toddler could play around in there while our four year old did more swimming in the bigger pool. There is plenty of seating around the pool and they’ve decorated the area really well so it feels super tropical!
Right next to the pool area is a decent size game room. We played a lot of games in here and it was a fun way to spend some time when we had a brief rain storm during our stay.
Our family really enjoyed our trip here. From the gorgeous property to the abundance of family-friendly activities, Oglebay Resort is a great destination next time you want to get away!